Dinner and more.



Man!  Talking of week day dinners.

I grew up in a culture where dinners are made of fresh produce every day.  Men work to bring the money and most women stay home to raise their children, cook dinners and just say - be home makers.

Most people don't have cars back home or just one car for the whole family.  You go to a super market or those open fresh food markets to buy your produce and meat just enough to cook for a day or two.


People use public transportation which is why you can only have so many bags in your hands.  Also you can walk to many stores to do your shopping: no need of a car necessarily since there are stores everywhere.  I guess it's good and bad.  Good may be great because of the fact that you walk everyday and burn calories both ways and bad for the inconvenience of many things - carrying heavy bags, crossing the streets(watching out for crazy drivers), tired feet.  Imagine in the winter! Or don't imagine since it's scary too.  In my country we don't have the luxury of plowed roads after the snow like here in US.  It's CHAOS!!!  Anyhow, I got a little distracted from my dinner subject I think.


So the point is that meals are cooked and served fresh every day.  I don't think I've ever seen frozen food growing up other than ice cream or Russian pilmeni(like ravioli).  Ha! Never thought of that.
So for me cooking fresh and making dinners for my family (left overs don't count) is a very normal thing.  No frozen meals.  Not that there is anything wrong with that, just not used to it.

Whatever it is - cultural or childhood memories of my Mom's food...  or may be I just enjoy home made eats.  I love my kitchen and my relationship with it is very special:)

Well it's time for dinner anyway.  And this is what it looks like today.


Pork chops with mushrooms in a white wine sauce.

Basmati rice with raisins.

Salad with greens and avocado.  

Comments