8 egg whites
8 egg yolks
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 teasp vanilla extract
1 apple (garnish)
sugar powder for dusting
1. Separate egg whites in a large bowl and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Reserve the egg yolks in a separate bowl. Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks.
2. Add sugar gradually, while beating on high speed. Continue to beat egg whites until sugar dissolves and egg whites are batten to glossy, stiff peaks.
3. Sift the flour and slowly fold in with the egg white batter. The batter should be smooth with no flour lumps in it.
4. Beat the egg yolks on medium speed until creamy then add to the egg white mixture, gently folding in using a silicone spatula(or wooden spoon). Add vanilla extract and stir well.
5. Preheat the oven to 425 F. Grease the bottom of the cookie sheet with cold butter(rub evenly). Place the cookie sheet in the oven for 3 minutes to heat, then take it out. Quickly spoon the batter in circles on the sheet, allowing some space between them, as they will expand while baking.
6. Bake for 5 minutes or until the edges of the cookies start to brown. Using a wide, flat spatula quickly remove the cookies and place them on a plate(or a tray). It's very important to bring the two sides of the cookie right away and press them together before they get cold. This is what will make the cookies look like Calla Lily flower.
7. Slice the apple thinly and garnish the cookies as shown below in pictures. Dust with sugar powder.